Thursday, July 26, 2018

From a Concerned Member of the Plant Community...

From a concerned member of the plant community to man
By: Senthooran B

The first thing I remember is breaking the surface of the earth and taking my first breath. The air felt so pure and clean as it gushed through my veins.  I remember, during my childhood years, learning to be selfless and share all I had with anyone who cared enough to ask. I sheltered the birds from the elements, provided food to animals, and oxygen to all living things. I remember making friends with the other trees and making many happy memories.
During my teenage years was my first experience with man – the smartest and probably the most dangerous animal to walk the earth. He was a lone traveller- a man tired from a long journey. Being my usual compassionate self, I gave to him all I had to offer. The man seemed grateful for the shade and continued his long journey soon. Little did I know then, that he would return to cause me a great deal of sorrow.
My second experience with man was during my youth. This time man returned to cut down my friends and clear off my pet shrubs to lay a grey contraption called a road which allowed for his convenient transport. This upset me, but there was little I could do about it. Despite this, I continued giving all I had to mankind.
During my middle age man returned yet again and mercilessly cut down almost every one of my friends. He built his own shelters and farms. It seemed as if man did not require us trees anymore and that in itself was a reason for us not to exist. This was the last straw. I knew we couldn’t be friends, but we could perhaps co-operate in some manner?
The events that occur during my old age certainly don’t make it seem so. Man continues destroying my brethren, not just near his ’cities’, but in forests – places we thought to be a safe havens. Man continues destroying us, promising all the time that he will won’t. Man continues destroying us, even though we provide him with so many useful goods.
Thus, I appeal to the better nature of man. I seek only a modicum of grace from you, an acknowledgement of the difficulties that we face. It is not only for plants that I ask this of you, but also for your own wellbeing. Listen to you environmentalists- stop destroying us or soon you will reach a situation where global warming levels go unchecked and you have no air left to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment